Monday, January 25, 2010

Tienes Hambre?

I made salsa last night and it was delicious. It was also extremely easy and cheap so I have resolved that as long as I have my own tomato plants, I will  make my own salsa (bar when I'm at the Ponsonby International Food Court. The salsa at that Mexican place is phenomenal, I've been known to ask for a little extra to take home with me).

Spicy Tomato Salsa


6 tomatoes
1/2 a red onion
1 red chilli (seeds removed)
olive oil
coriander
cumin
lemon (or lime)
salt and freshly ground black pepper

I diced the tomatoes, red onion and chilli first and mixed everything together with a splash of olive oil. I roughly chopped the coriander and added it with the juice of half a lemon and a pinch of cumin then seasoned to taste with salt and pepper

Easy peasy.

The salsa was delicious and had the perfect bite. I made my favourite Vegetarian Mexican Beans  and had a burrito for dinner. Vegetarian Mexican Beans are perfect to make if you're having friends over or if you want enough to take to work for lunch for the rest of the week!

Vegetarian Mexican Beans

1 leek
2 carrots
1 red onion
1 chilli

Chop roughly and add to a big frying pan with olive oil. When the leeks have softened, add the rest of the ingredients in the order provided.

2 cans of pinto beans
1 can of black beans
1 can of tomatoes
Tio Pablo Mexican Seasoning
coriander

My mother is Californian so I've been brought up with Mexican food and I absolutely love it. This is one of her favourite dishes because she loves vegetarian food and probably because she knows it will always make enough to feed our whole family, plus some.


4 comments:

  1. Love the blog G - another person who willingly waxes lyrical about food. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! This looks great. I love homemade salsa so much more than store-bought! Though I'll have to visit that Mexican place in Ponsonby next time I'm up in Auckland... I've always been curious about that food court, but have never ventured inside :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's definitely worth taking a visit to the Prd Food Court, I can highly recommend the Mexican, the Thai and the Vietnamese!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Ponsonby Road Food Court is a must, great people watching and the naan breads from the indian place are to die for, oh and reasonably priced alcohol as well!

    ReplyDelete